Thursday, 26 March 2009

Michael C Place (Build) and Adrian Shaughnessy in Newcastle

Yesterday I attended the Adrian Shaughnessy and Michael C Place (Build) talk at Dance City in Newcastle.

It was basically Adrian Shaughnessy interviewing Michael, Richard and Judy style. Discussing his journey from college, to the Designers Republic in Sheffield until finally ending up where he is now, in his own studio under the name 'Build' (AKA Design by Build). He also had a presentation of all selected pieces of work that he talked about which was nice.

It was interesting to hear his story as a designer, from a student and how he went about getting a job etc. But I made a few notes of the things he said that I found most interesting...

It was interesting to hear that he failed his degree course, purely for the fact that where he is now is amazing and it just shows that experience and being your own person is enough to get you through. I'm not necessarily sure if that would work in this day and age...but who knows. I'm not mentioning this because I'm intending to fail my course, but because how much the placements and experience you undertake are just as vital. It's got me thinking I need to sort myself out. Organize some more placements. And the reality that even when I get my degree I have to be prepared to do placements, whether they be paid or not.

Michael has done a lot of record sleeve designs and music related stuff, and as I've currently got the brief of producing the logo for COOKI, a DJ creating hard trance music, not something I normally listen to too. But he mentioned before he starts putting down any designs, he listens to the music first. Hearing what your designing for is important.

Other points I picked up were..
- You really really need to be able to defend your own work and talk about it. If you don't understand it then no one else will.
- Have a balance of work. Don't just focus on one signature style, people get bored of seeing the same thing all the time.
- Do your own work alongside the work your getting paid for. This will keep you sane as well as keeping you creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment