Thursday, 19 March 2009

Evaluation, focus, develop

My problem at the moment is the Stuff-O-Meter brief. Well, saying that, before the crit it was a bigger problem because it just wasn't getting anywhere, but now I've had some useful and constructive feedback I feel it's not so much of a problem and that I can get it done and dusted...hopefully by this weekend. I can't believe how long it's taken me, it's embarrassing. But at the beginning I don't think I considered how much research would actually need to be done for it to get off the ground, as it seems not many other people have taken time out to look at a hair dryer from cradle to grave, and I don't blame them!
Even preparing for the crit was useful, when composing the questions I wanted feedback to it gave me time to consider what it was I was actually NOT doing, and what I needed to do ASAP!
Up until last night, another problem I was having was that I hadn't composed any other briefs, all I had was the 2 I've been working on. But I've since written myself 3 more, all considerably short ones, so my aim is to get them completed during the easter holidays. So that's no longer a problem, I just need to write them up and set myself some deadlines and STICK TO THEM!
My proposed brief are..(they're not totally finalized yet, but you get the idea)
1. If you could..
\If you could design anything tomorrow to improve the way we live what would it be?
This will either be my own response to the question, but I'm more interested in promoting this question. Putting it out there and seeing what people come back with.
2. Delight in Design...
\How can consumers be more involved in a products development and production? To be sure that what they're getting is what they want.
3. A sustainable retail environment. Looking at the bags, receipts, leaflets etc
(this is still a maybe, as I'm not sure it's what I really want to do)

My subject area hasn't changed at all. I'm still focusing on 'Sustainability Within Design' and I'm really enjoying producing the research for Design Context for it. The only slight problem here is that sustainability as a subject is so broad, that's why I changed it to Sustainability within Design right at the beginning, to help narrow the research down and not go too crazy! It has helped, but I think I need to write myself a statement of how I want to engage with sustainability and what it means to me and my practice. What are my main concerns and what do I want to do about it kind of thing..
I'm currently focusing my research on looking at sustainably conscious design firms, such as Thomas.Matthews and designers who don't have a huge commitment to designing sustainable, but take it into consideration and are doing their own little bit in their own little way and what they've done. Then I've been looking at services and informative websites where they help inform and educate designers about why it's important that they make these little changes, what the little changes are and how they go about making these little changes etc.
I've emailed some local design companies who have environmental policies, about 6 in total, but only one lovely man has replied, but it was useful feedback. But I think my next step is to compose some questions that will provide me with really useful answers, and email them out to all these big companies who are making the biggest impact, whether it be in the UK or over the seas.
I've also emailed a company in the UK who provide only recycled paper stocks and have asked for some samples, which they said they would be happy to send me some, but that was over 2 weeks ago and I've still not received any bulky mail...but I'll give them until tomorrow and send them another email, see if they need reminding.
That's something I need to get into more, and that's collecting and discovering all the environmentally products that are out there and available.

No comments:

Post a Comment