I discovered their work during the process of putting together my design context presentation, in which I have had to discover work or designers that influence my work, the kind of work I want to produce when I leave this course and go out into the big wide world.
This is the work that I want to produce, this is the kind of work I'm focussing my FMP. Although I've decided to set my subject as "Sustainability within Design", I don't want to pigeon hole myself to just producing environmentally friendly design, by this I mean, only printing on recycled stock, only working for ethical causes, using the colours brown and green all the time, whilst in the mean time, only eating organic food, not using deodorant or driving my car....because that's not me. As a designer, considering the environmental footprint of your work and your actions should be something of importance, especially in this day and age. But that doesn't mean it has to become my ethos.
That's why marc&anna is a good example of the type of work I want to produce and the kind of person I am. There work is fantastic, answering all briefs given with good communication; creating beautiful work with strong, exciting ideas and delivering an end result beyond expectation. But at the same time, they seem to take time out and think about what it is that that they're doing.

^
For example, the work below is marc&anna's moving card. All screen printed onto the flap of a cardboard moving box. Such a simple and straight forward idea, but I bet a lot of people would never have thought of it. Simple steps like this, to avoiding printing on all sorts of new stocks, when they had plenty available from the boxes they used to move. This is them doing their bit for the environment, without really putting much thought into it or putting themselves out there all that much.

^
Then there's this lovely mail shot. Run by English Heritage and The National Trust, the conference Your Place Or Mine? was aimed at engaging new audiences with heritage. We were asked to design the identity and literature. Not necessarily a sustainable design, but it's just a 'nice' piece of work for a good cause.


^
They are greener than traditional bulbs, cutting energy use by 80 per cent, and they also come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
They created a small case bound book with a specially designed flower on the front (using seven of the bulbs available to buy) and full of facts, paired with lifestyle photography.
Again, a fantastic piece of design, but for a sustainable cause. They're doing their bit, but without making too much of a fuss about what it is that they're doing!

No comments:
Post a Comment