Thursday, 5 February 2009

I got a reply...

The other day I sent out an email to 5 different design companies across the country, who all work in a sustainable manner, with a few questions that might be able to help me along my way with the FMP.

So far I've only had one reply :( Better than nothing I guess but still, it wasn't like I'd sent loads of questions that would be a hassle to answer, only 5 short minutes! So I'm a bit annoyed that there was only the one.

Task today is to send it out again, to another 5 companies, maybe reconsidering the questions I'm asking.

Anyways, here are the answers I got from a guy called Neil at 'Face' in Harrogate.

1. Is it something you have always been aware of as a subject, or was there a life changing event that made you consider your environmental footprint?

Not always aware, market forces dictate, but we are not attempting to be a carbon neutral company. I think responsibility is key. We can all offset CO2 by planting trees but that just gives you the excuse to make more CO2 emissions.


2. What changes have you made to work in a sustainable manner?
Cycle to work (in summer – it is a 36 mile round trip), make sure computers are not left on standby, recycle, not print unneccessarily, but then we never have done.


3. Do you encourage your clients to use environmentally sensitive processes and materials whenever applicable to a design?
As much as we can do. Environmental perceptions against realities are often quite different. Many agencies have been using more environmentally friendly products for years but that doesn’t mean recycled. Some of our clients subscribe to wrap. http://www.wrap.org.uk/


4. Do you think it is important for the educational institutes to inform us about sustainable practice, making it a compulsory subject?
It is something we are working on at the moment with a number of clients. Research is mixed on the subject of whether students are that bothered. Some institutions are trying to use it as a USP


5. As a student who will be venturing out into the big wide world of design in a few months, do you think it is important that I have a good understanding of working sustainably?
I think it could be your USP and would apply more with some agencies than others but creativity will always be tops.


6. How might you define sustainable practice within graphic design?

not sure at the moment


7. Do you think graphic design can be sustainable?
Yes, without doubt, but it is about changing lifestyles of everyone.


8.Do you think there's anything else you think I need to consider, or have any helpful advice to help me along the way?
be yourself, be true to what you believe in and if it is about sustainability and you know a lot that counts for loads. Make sure you are the best you can be. Research your target audience, whether that be for getting a client or just getting a job.


Thank you very much for your time
Your welcome


What's useful with this questionnaire is that I can use it for my dissertation as well.
Fingers crossed I get some more response after I send some more out.

No comments:

Post a Comment