This morning we had a group tutorial with Fred. Just summarizing where we're at with our briefs, the deadlines for each of them, where we see our work going after the Easter break, what briefs have we got lined up, whether or not I have any concerns and how does all this relate back to the Statement Of Intent (SOI).
So I briefly explained that I had three briefs almost at completion, the Stuff-O-Meter, the Salvedge branding and the new one, to design an identity for COOKI, the DJ.
The Stuff-O-Meter one at this stage just needs finalizing, printing everything to a high standard, taking photo's and putting together the submission boards.
So far I have created the proposal for a website (non functional as Dreamweaver is a bit too much for me to learn as well doing everything else for my FMP), but put together on InDesign. Then there's the swing tag that would be on hair related products, i.e Heat Defense Spray and Shampoos. A flyer, a sticker to go on the packaging of hair dryers, an internet pop up ad, a wall mural/banner at the point of purchase in the shops, all of which promoting the website.
The Salvedge production is currently at a stand still due to the printer and finding out what is available to us in terms of printing facilities. But in the mean time, the logo has been chosen by Steve, and Kyle and I are currently putting together 2 ranges of ideas each for the business card, compliment slip and letterhead to send off to Steve later on today. Once he's chosen one of those ideas we can basically put this project to bed. Although the print still needs to be resolved, but as long as we get the design aspect of it done it can be forgotten about for the time being and I can concentrate on other things.
The COOKI logo is currently at a stand still too. I put together some ideas and I've emailed them off to Chris, and that was at the beginning of the week. But I've still not heard anything back from him. But I'll give him a few more days and then I'll start hassling him! The whole COOKI brief I set myself has been on my mind a bit as I was concerned it wasn't really appropriate for my FMP, seeing as it doesn't really have a sustainable aspect to it. But as Fred quite rightly pointed out, in my SOI I have the intention of working with type and layout, so as far as my design PRACTICE is concerned, this is appropriate. Also, another way I want this to link with the subject of Sustainability Within Design is to produce it and get through the brief in a sustainable manner. Doing everything by the book. For example, avoiding printing and just sending PDFs. But I'm finding this way of working quite difficult as I'm having to document my progress for the sake of submission. I could always PDF everything for this brief and hand it in in a disc format?
I then explained what I intend to do during and after the Easter break and what briefs I have in mind. But before I consider starting any other briefs I NEED to get the other briefs completed and out of the way. To clear my head and be prepared for some new ideas. This can all be completed by next week, the first week of the Easter break. The final printing might not be possible, depending on the opening of the print room. Also, during the Easter break I want to complete all the PPD work, mainly my portfolio, print and digital, my CV and to have a look at putting together a simple website. PPD is something that's constantly playing on my mind and I just need it out of the way.
One brief I'm particularly interested in looking at when all this other stuff is out of the way is the one I discussed with Justin the other day. About the sustainable confectioners. So during the Easter I want to get some research started for this. But I'd like to consider at least one of the other briefs I've kind of put together. Either 'If You Could...' - If you could design anything tomorrow to improve the way we live today what would it be? or 'Delight In Design' - How can consumers be more involved in a products development and production (to help reduce unnecessary waste).
Some points that came out of the tutorial relevant to my work and the FMP in general ...
- Think about the problems of doing a huge research based brief (the confectioners)
- What do I actually want to produce?
- Write up a simple brief of where I want to go after Easter
- What am I trying to do? To who? How? Why? - Be prepared to answer these questions at the next crit.
- Come back after Easter with a strategy or a plan
- Look at what I've got and what I can work with
- Exit strategy? Where do I want to fit in the industry? What do I want to do?
Thursday, 2 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment