Sunday, 18 January 2009

Proposal

DESIGN PRACTICE / RATIONALE

Print based design is definitely my main area of interest, focusing on developing my Adobe software skills, in particular, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. This also encouraging me to look at paper craft, types of paper stock and print processes.

I like design that’s different, that grab’s attention, even if that’s never happened with my work….it’s something I try to intend to do!! But I would also like it to have a purpose, especially now I've been looking into sustainable design and not just designing for design's sake.

DESIGN / CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT AREAS

I want to focus on type and layout design, as that’s my main area of interest but an area that still needs plenty of room for improvement!
I would like to consider looking at editorial design, it’s something I’ve not yet focused on, but is something I’ve always wanted to look at. But not sure if I should be focusing on skills I already have instead of trying to get to grips with new ones for the final major project. I guess it’s an option I could consider.
I briefly looked into exhibition design in the last module, and really enjoyed it, so that would be an area I would like to look at again. Maybe not just focusing on exhibition, but environmental graphics in general…
Also, from the previous module, I did a bit of branding, and after the summer work placement I had thought that was an area I wasn’t interested in. But I really enjoyed doing this for the last module, so that’s something else I would also consider doing…

PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES

Would like to aim to have a 3 week work placement sorted for the Easter holidays. Some where with the possibility of perhaps being offered a permanent place once I graduate....I wish!
Would preferably like to be in either Leeds, York or Harrogate, so there's various locations I can try.
Need to become more clued on with this area, as I feel I'm not as informed as I should be.
Already started looking for places, but would like to sort out my print and digital portfolios before I start emailing, so that if they ask, then I'm not keeping them waiting for too long.

CONTEXTUAL REFERENCES / INFLUENCES

Work/Research
Non-Format – Type and Layout
Information Graphics
Exhibition/Environment Graphics
Sustainable design

Books
Data Flow -Information graphics
1000 Graphic Elements – Various print based formats
Special Effects – Print effects
The Layout Look Book – Type and layout (Editorial)
Introducing – Type and layout

Magazines
Creative Review – Sustainable design
Grafik
IDN – Retail and environment design
Computer Arts – Design Trends
Campaign – What's going on and what's out there that works

Websites
Three Trees Don’t Make a Forest < Both sustainable based sites
Lovely as a Tree

SUBJECT

As I did for the last module, I tried to focus one of my briefs on sustainable design, to help with the research of my dissertation. That is something I enjoyed doing and felt I got a lot of benefit from. Being ‘sustainable’ or ‘green’ is becoming more important and is something I would like to continue to address.
Focusing on this could also link with awareness and promotion, which is another subject I would like to look at.
For the last module I also looked at information and environment, again something I would like to focus on and look into a bit more.

RESEARCH AREAS / RESEARCH ACTIVITIES

To understand the subject matter of sustainable design and researching it, I feel I've already done a lot, especially secondary research. But to focus on primary research I would need to take it further and get in touch with existing designers and studios that already work in this way and find out the benefits and negative points.

Since the last module and going about starting my briefs in the wrong way and not doing enough research and seeing what is already out there, I've learnt to keep my eyes peeled more, to read more and just overall try and become more aware of the inspirational stuff around me.

INITIAL / PROPOSED IDEAS FOR BRIEFS

I can only think to suggest some initial ideas for proposed briefs, as I've no idea what I could do.
But I would, from what I've noticed whilst putting together this proposal, like to focus on sustainability, print, editorial, environments and information based design. So what I would do with this is many possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment