Thursday, 4 June 2009

'Sweet Enough' Evaluation

I've now come to the end with the confections brief. The products are constructed. the photo's have been taken and the submission boards have been put together and printed.

Now it's time to do some reflecting.

So, the brief was to create an identity for a sweet shop, in the location of my choice. With a similar theme to the traditional sweet shop. Where you receive your sweets by measurements from the glass jars on the shelves.
That's the theme I've stuck with. But I think I've brought it a bit more up-market, to a slightly higher standard where you might pay a little extra pennies for the purchases.
But that's all come down to the little details, pr
inting onto the paper bags. But my intentions have had the theme of sustainability in my mind (only slightly though!), where the printing of the logo onto the bag is done with the stamp, at the point of purchase. Saving general printing costs and all the unnecessary printing.
And the little carrier bag design. On the grey paper stock and the ribbons for the handles. The 'Sweet Enough' logo on one side and then the trademark purple stripes on the other.

The stationery, again printed onto the same paper stock that the paper bags are made from. The purple on grey and on the reverse side is again the 'trademark' purple stripes. A nice finishing touch.

Then there's the labels on the jars. Finished with the purple ribbon.

But I think the nicest addition created in response to this brief is the range for the packaging. Where I've tried to colour coordinate it. I think the way I've tried to create it is clear, I hope anyway. I just hope I didn't need to do more for it to be clearer.

But the idea behind the format of the actual packaging was from reading a book called 'Sustainable Packaging Design', and it reviewed this net as a positive design. I'm not really 100% sure why that really is, as when you read about 'successful packaging design' they speak a lot about it being a practical shape for stacking, and transporting. To save on space. But this net is, I think, the most impractical format for space wasting! But oh well....it's suitable for packaging for the chocolates and boiled sweets.

Overall I've really enjoyed this brief. I've been worried about it relating to my original Statement Of Intent, as I intended to focus alot of my FMP on creating sustainable design and thinking sustainably. I did try with my first couple of briefs, but as time went on I began to feel restricted with my design process and what I wanted to create for the LAST EVER DESIGN BRIEF! So in the end I've stepped away from thinking in a sustainable manner. But in the SOI I wrote I'd also focus on type, layout and in the most recent version, branding. So I've responded to it in that way I guess!

Now I've completed it, I'm feeling the usual thing when I've 'completed' a brief, and feel I could have taken it further. Creating other 'product's' relating to a confectioners. But I'm pleased with what I have created in the time given. It was something a little less serious as some other briefs I've done, it's been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment